Church Interior

WARWICK BRIDGE CHURCH – THE INTERIOR

The altar is in the east, though a free standing altar has been inserted tastefully to conform with customs following the Second Vatican Council in 1965. The porch and font occupy the West End of the nave.  The open timbered roof is all painted and decorated with god, with passages from the scriptures illuminated along the main beams.  The ceiling of the chancel, all beautifully painted by craftsmen, has recently been clean and restored as has the sedilia on the South wall of the chancel, and the Easter Sepulchre. – dedicated to Henry Howard and dated 1842 – on the North wall

Fr. Edmund Hatton, responding to the Liturgical reforms of the Second Vatican Council in 1995, installed a forward Altar, new  light fittings (complementing Pugin’s lights in the Sanctuary and designed by Architect Ralph Pattisson) and a red carpet in the Sanctuary and nave.  Some of the interior decoration has been restored by an acknowledged expert.

The rood screen and crucifix, flanked by the figures of the Blessed Virgin and St. Wilfrid, are gilded and painted. The pulpit in the south wall next to the chancel arch is in stone and painted with a centre panel and tow side panels, again of our Blessed Lady and St. Wilfrid.  One the north wall of the nave is a stone carved niche in which stands the lovely figure of the Mother of God.  High on a point of the chancel arch is a  painting of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.  There are on the north and south walls of the nave several ornamental roundels in memory of local families  and of  people who were benefactors to this mission.  Their names can be traced in the history of the parish.  The stained glass windows, two to the north and one to the south wall – dated between the years  1860 –  67  were presented by Philip Howard, and two more recent windows show the figured panels of St. Thomas More and the Blessed Oliver Plunkett as being ancestors of, or being related to some of the families commemorated in these memorials.